Enhancing a centuries-old tradition of healing
Gaudenico B. Cardinal Rosales, Archbishop of Manila, celebrated a special Mass on Jan. 13 at Sto. Nino Parish, Pandacan (a district in the city of Manila, Philippines), and he blessed the medical supplies and equipment that were donated from Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach.
These items will be used in a small medical clinic, and hopefully a dental clinic that will serve the tens of thousands of poor in the parish.
This delivery was facilitated by Ramon Jose Sebastia-Moreno, KCSG, Secretary General, Diplomatic Society of St. Gabriel, Legion of the Savior's Cross and Sir Ed Artis, Knightsbridge International.
The first stone church in Pandacan was built in 1732 by Fr. Francisco del Rosario and was completed 30 years later. The image of the Holy Child of Jesus, popularly known as Sto. Nino was enshrined at the church and its feast has been celebrated since on the 2nd Sunday of January.
According to the parish history, the image of the Child Jesus was recovered from a well near the church and some say the water from the well resulted in the miraculous healing of the infirmed. The well has long been sealed due to pollutants but a shrine stands on what was once the well.
The original church, completed in 1760 was twice destroyed by earthquakes. A modern church now stands on the old ruins including a parish school which stands on what was the Catholic cemetery of the district.
As we continue to be a healing presence for the life of the world, we give thanks to God for this blessing of sharing our gifts to this special place in the world.