Board of Directors and Officers
Highlights and Accomplishments
Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach was founded in 2002 by the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis. The 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, whose Main Office is in Springfield, IL, addresses the serious unmet medical needs of people in developing countries and promotes a more green-friendly environment through a medical recovery and responsible redistribution program.
This ministry that began in a garage on the grounds of the Hospital Sisters' Motherhouse eventually relocated to a 23,000 square foot facility that was built in 2006. At any given time there is more than $3,000,000 in medical supplies and equipment in this building and the inventory is turned over at least two times a year. In 2009, a 17,000 square foot facility was rented in Chicago, becoming the Chicago Division.
Surplus medical equipment and supplies are recovered primarily from hospitals, clinics, and major medical manufacturers in Illinois and Wisconsin. Upon request, these items are sent to healthcare providers in developing countries around the world.
Mission Outreach works with more than 40 hospitals and 18 multi-specialty clinics throughout Illinois and Wisconsin.
Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach responds to the sick, poor and needy through a medical equipment and supply recovery and distribution program and education and awareness opportunities.
Board of Directors:
Robert W. Beyer
John Eck, Jr.
Sister Chaminade Kelley, OSF
Patrick McKenna, MD
Sister Janice Schneider, OSF
Georgia Winson, Executive Director
John Eck, Jr. - Chair
Rick Haberkorn, CPA, Vice-Chair - Treasurer
Georgia Winson - President
Bob Beyer - Secretary
Highlights & Accomplishments:
• More than $24 million of usable medical equipment and supplies have been distributed worldwide.
• Access to quality health care was improved in more than 50 countries around the world.
• More than 4 million pounds of surplus medical equipment and supplies have been recovered. Without Mission Outreach, these items would have ended up in landfills.
• For every dollar donated, Mission Outreach sends $6.90 worth of medical supplies around the world.
• Mission Outreach was named "a preferred partner of the U.S. Navy's Project Handclasp" - allowing us to provide humanitarian assistance via U.S. Naval Vessels.
• With the assistance of the Navy, Mission Outreach transferred an ambulance to Buenos Aires via USS Pearl Harbor.
• Mission Outreach collaborated with the Springfield, IL Commission on International Visitors and the United States Library of Congress Open World Leadership Program to provide supplies to a Ukrainian Hospital.
• $110,000-$140,000 is the estimated range of the value of medical equipment and supplies shipped in each container.
Mission Outreach has been featured by:
Chicago Tribune - Chicago, IL
Worldview - Chicago Public Radio – Chicago, IL
News Channel 20 - Springfield, IL
Illinois Stories - WSEC Springfield
State Journal Register - Springfield, IL
Illinois Times - Springfield, IL
Herald and Review - Decatur, IL
Health Progress - Official Journal of the Catholic Health Association of the United States
Catholic Times - Official Newspaper of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois
Catholic Health World - Newspaper of the Catholic Health Association
Leader-Telegram - Eau Claire, WI
Springfield Business Journal - Springfield, IL
The Source - Official Magazine of Healthtrust
For information, contact us or call us at 217-525-8843.